The purpose of this policy document is to define Skylife’s commitment to environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors across our property development and investment activities. It defines Skylife’s approach to assessing ESG risks and value creation opportunities related to investments being considered or made. Skylife always considers material ESG matters in the course of its due diligence and management of portfolio investments.
Skylife believes that the integration and management of ESG factors throughout its organisation are essential for the long-term success and positive impact of our company on the communities and environments in which we operate.
This ESG Policy outlines our commitments and strategies to deliver on these principles.
Through this policy, Skylife seeks to:
- Consider environmental, governance, safety and social issues associated with potential investment opportunities in Skylife’s evaluation of the prospective entity or asset and the ongoing asset management of the portfolio investment.
- Continually engage with relevant stakeholders, including, but not limited to, local communities, First Nations, and all levels of government, as appropriate, to communicate on ESG matters.
- Actively develop and improve the long-term sustainability of portfolio investments for the benefit of multiple stakeholders.
- Work with partners, contractors, and stakeholders to the extent reasonably possible to improve and advance ESG initiatives at Skylife and its portfolio investments.
- Promote transparency and timeliness in communication with stakeholders and Skylife’s limited partners on ESG matters.
- Follow strict guidelines that prohibit bribery and other improper payments to public officials and follow anti-money laundering laws and regulation globally.
In today’s world, there are increasing concerns about the deterioration of environmental resources, and increasing recognition of the threat of climate change to the stability of the global economic and financial system. Skylife strives to minimise the environmental impact of our operations by adhering to environmental laws, regulations and best practice standards across our property and investment activities.
Across our property portfolio of commercial, industrial, retail and residential developments, Skylife applies the following minimum standards:
- Incorporating maximum natural light, access to green space and fresh air.
- Incorporating market leading energy-efficient and sustainable design principles in our developments.
- Reducing our carbon footprint by implementing energy-efficient technologies, fixtures and fittings and plant equipment.
- Minimise waste generation and promote recycling & reuse in our construction and operational activities.
- Safeguard natural habitats and biodiversity by considering the ecological impact of our projects and advocating for responsible land use.
- Achieving market leading Greenstar, NABERS, or WELL ratings as they may be relevant for each asset sector.
Across the investment portfolio, Skylife is an active shareholder in companies that are delivering or driving sustainable outcomes. Key sectors or interest include recycling, technology, infrastructure, agriculture, e-commerce, and financial services.
At Skylife, we have a strong belief that the way in which we manage our operations with respect to labour market practices, work health and safety, product lability and supply chain management can impose investment risk. From this, we strive to achieve positive outcomes in each of these issues within Skylife’s investment processes, and as a wholistic organisation.
Social value is created by promoting diversity, equity and inclusion within our workforce, encouraging equal opportunities for all individuals and creating job opportunities.
Skylife is dedicated to fostering strong relationships within the company and within the communities in which we operate. Skylife makes positive social impact in the community through the Skylife Foundation and our property and investment portfolios.
Skylife Foundation exists to provide hope, purpose and opportunities to those in need. Skylife Foundation launched with a $20 million donation from Skylife and has since made pledges to a number of registered charities.
- Ensures safety, health and well-being of our employees, contractors, and stakeholders.
- Has a strong focus on staff well-being for the properties developed and under management, including market leading end-of-trip facilities, high quality indoor and outdoor space environments and well maintained and efficient plant and infrastructure.
- Engaging in transparent and open communication with local communities.
- Supports local economies by engaging in local procurement.
- Conducts ESG due diligence on potential investment opportunities to assess their alignment with our ESG principles.
- Collaborates with partners and stakeholders who share our commitment to ESG values.
- Engages with portfolio companies to encourage ESG improvements and responsible business practices.
- Supports and invests in companies that actively contribute to positive social and environmental outcomes.
Skylife recognises that governance risks represent a major threat to investor value and as such, Skylife upholds the highest standards of corporate governance to ensure ethical conduct accountability and transparency by:
- Maintaining an inclusive management team that oversees ESG matters and strategic decision-making.
- Implementing robust internal controls and risk management practices to ensure the responsible use of resources and mitigate potential negative impacts, particularly where materials resource recovery and recycling is possible.
- Promoting ethical behaviour, integrity and anti-corruption measures throughout the organisation.
- Assuring the strength, integrity and vitality of the Company for its customers, clients, employees and the communities in which it operates.
Skylife strives to constantly integrate the ESG considerations set out in this policy into its investment decisions with a view to optimise environmental sustainability, social engagement and strong governance.
Skylife is committed to continuously improving our ESG performance by regularly evaluating our progress and staying informed about emerging ESG trends, best practices and innovations to adapt our strategies accordingly.
We encourage innovation and research to develop new ways of integrating sustainability and responsible practices into our operations.
Through this ESG Policy, we aim to demonstrate our dedication to responsible business practices, contribute positively to society and the environment, and create lasting value for all stakeholders. This policy will be regularly reviewed and updated to ensure its ongoing relevance and effectiveness.